What is the Jaivik Bharat?
New organic products are being introduced to the Indian market daily. Organic foods are the products of environmentally and socially responsible farming methods that support biodiversity, soil health, chemical-free inputs, and other factors, and are manufactured in alignment of organic production standards. People are hesitant to buy organic food because they are unsure of its authenticity.
As a result, in December 2017, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) introduced the Jaivik Bharat logo to help customers in recognizing genuine organic food. Any product displaying the Jaivik Bharat logo claims to follow all organic farming norms and specifications.
Jaivik Bharat Logo
- The Jaivik Bharat logo includes pictures of a leaf, circle also a tick mark.
- The circle signifies global holistic health. The leaf signifies nature, while the tick mark signifies FSSAI Certified.
- The unified logo serves as a distinguishing mark between organic and non-organic food. It is followed by the tagline “Jaivik Bharat,” which implies “Indian Organic Food.”
Which food products can be labelled as ‘Organic ‘?
Under NPOP (National Programme for Organic Production) system:
- If a single ingredient product is found to be consistent with the stated requirements, it could be classified as “Organic.”
- In a multi-ingredient product if 95 % of the ingredients are approved, it can be labelled as “Certified Organic.”
Under PGS (Participatory Guarantee System) India system:
- If all requirements are met for a single ingredient product, it can be labelled as “PGS- Organic.”
- For a multi-ingredient product min if 95% of the ingredients are organic, it can be labelled as “PGS- Organic.”
How to get Jaivik Bharat Certification?
- Follow the procedure given below to obtain Organic Certification
- Get FSSAI certified for your products. Apply for FSSAI Registration here.
- Apply for either NPOP or PGS-India, depending on your product.
- An agent will review your application and determine if your product complies with the authentication guidelines as well as regulations and standards.
- He will inspect the site, as per arranged by him.
- Once the procedure is completed, you will be provided with a label.
Jaivik Bharat Portal
The government has taken several steps to address issue of the authenticity of organic foods. To help Indian farmers and agriculturists verify the authenticity of organic food, three apex institutions in India, namely the FSSAI, APEDA, and PGC India, have collaborated to launch an online portal. Consumers can learn about the manufacturer, the certification scheme, and the availability of certified organic products through this portal. Organic Food products can be found through searching by both the name of the food and the name of the business.