Food Safety Mitra
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) declared the Food Safety Mitra Scheme on 16/10/2006. The Food Safety Mitra assists small and medium food-related businesses in expanding their operations while remaining compliant with FSSAI standards. It also helps food businesses with registration, licensing, training, and maintenance of food safety standards. The Food Safety Mitra (FSM) Scheme will make it easier to do business by providing a transparent and structured ecosystem that supports food enterprises. Food businesses will be able to find trained service providers at reasonable pricing, decreasing compliance costs and simplifying the process of FSSAI registration
Who is a Food Safety Mitra?
A Food Safety Mitra is an FSSAI-certified specialist who assists in FSS (Food Safety and Standards) Act, Rules, and Regulation’s implementation.
Types of Food Safety Mitra
According to the FSSAI, the FSM scheme can play three different roles as given below:
- Fill out an application on the FSM website.
- Once you’ve been shortlisted, complete the online training.
- Go to one of the assigned test centers after you’ve completed your training to take the CBT (Computer Based Test).
- After passing the examination, a Digital Mitra certificate is released, which must be renewed every two years.
- If a candidate meets the training requirements, he or she will be enrolled with FoSTaC (Food Safety Training and Certification Course).
- To become a trained Mitra, the applicant must undergo classroom training and tests by following FoSTaC requirements.
- The certificate will be valid for two years.
- If a candidate meets the requirements for being a hygiene Mitra, he or she will be considered for Hygiene Mitra.
- An applicant must complete classroom training and tests to become a certified Hygiene Mitra.
- For two years, the certificate would be valid.
A Digital Mitra can also be a Hygiene Mitra. Applicant can choose from one or more Food Safety Mitra options as long as he meets all of the required qualifications and criteria.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Food Safety Mitra:
- Submitting a new license/registration application online
- Additional online communication in response to questions asked by authorities
- Online application for a license/registration change
- Annual Returns/Declarations are required to be filed online
- Product/label/advertisement claim approval applications submitting online.
- Appealing a Suspended License/Suspension Registration’s online
- Providing food safety executives with training
- Managing Eat Right Campuses’ training
- Handling training of food safety personnel in businesses on request
- To conduct a hygiene audit of FBO outlets by following defined procedures.
- To assist FBOs in complying with hygiene regulations
- To train the food safety executives and food handlers about safe & hygienic food handling practices