ISI Mark Registration online in India
Apply Online for ISI Certificate
Quick, Convenient and Secure Online Process.
Free Current Account
ISI Mark Registration
Direct Call: Mumbai : 9167687835
Direct Call: Pune : 9820927758
ISI Mark Registration online in India
There are a lot of goods and products in the market, and every day some new ones are being produced. This makes it challenging to select which ones are worth using and which are not among them. Hence, to give credibility to the genuine products and makes people aware of the unsafe ones, the Bureau of Indian Standard has been established. The task of this bureau is to check the product quality and its impacts on the population on a specified scale and then give it with a unique identity to make the process of selection easier for consumers. This certification mark is known as ISI Mark Registration
This mark certifies Industrial products in India. Products having this mark means that it adheres to the Indian Standards, as mentioned in IS: XXXX. This label is created by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), a government authority accountable for standardizing the items or products in India.
ISI or Indian Standard Institute has a seven digit number (CM/L-xxxxxxx) alloted by the Bureau of Indian Standards. CM/L number is mandatory for ISI marks, and cannot be sold in the Indian market without it. A failure to have an ISI mark on goods in India is punishable.
Procedure for Obtaining ISI Mark Registration
In 1986, the certification of products was transferred to the Bureau of Indian Standards All the manufacturers intending to sell in India must register and pass the process of BIS authentication. There are two ways by which the manufacturer may apply for product certification.
- Submit the application to the BIS office. On receiving the application, the BIS will appoint an officer to examine the factory to ensure the manufacturer’s capability in producing products as per the prescribed standards of the bureau for that category. The samples are collected and analyzed in the BIS laboratory. After satisfactory results are obtained, the license and ISI number are given to the manufacturer for use on the product’s packaging.
- Under this process, test reports of the product are sent to the BIS office after getting it tested at the bureau’s lab, and the documents are certified separately. Now the role of BIS is to check the truth of the report within 1 month and allot ISI certificate/license if it is found satisfying
Documents needed for ISI Mark Registration
Like any application format, ISI licensing also requires specific documents that will speed up the registration process. These are as follows;
- Verification and self-evaluation report
- Certified copy of independent test reports received from BIS approved laboratories.
- In case of a partnership, partnership deed document or legal registration by company registrar
- Concerned regulatory agency’s certificate such as Chief controller of Explosives (CCE), Central Insecticide Board (CIB), drug controller,
- If the company is a small scale, then the SSI certificate is also to be attached.
- Indemnity bond or undertaking on Non-judicial Rs 100 stamp-paper as well as an application for blocking the number.
There are some products manufactured in the market that are related to public health, safety, high consumption by volume, and therefore are compulsory for BIS certification. Examples of such products are infant foods, cylinders, gas valves, etc. The manufacturers of these products cannot register for voluntary schemes of ISI mark. A total of 16 classes is formed by BIS that includes packaged water, plastic components, textile, electronics, food, automobile, etc. There is a chance of adding more to it if someone needs so.
These 16 categories cover some 19000 formulated items. When it comes to standardization, they deal with the minute of detail and leaves little to the substandard. They focus on things like sweets windshield wipers standards, silver foil, and pavements precast concrete slabs, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions ?
To apply for the ISI license, the company has to pay an application fee of Rs 1000 and Rs 4500 for the preliminary inspection in the form of Demand Draft for the Bureau of Indian Standards. Depending on the complexity of the product, the agent may charge up to Rs15000 as their service charge
Some products are required to pass the BIS standard before it could be traded in markets. They are electric motors, electric appliances, wires and cables, kitchen appliances, Portland cement, automotive tires, LPG related items (valves, cylinder, etc.), and similar unsafe products.
As everything in the world, there are also ISI mark copycats in existence, and they provide bogus ISI marks for products that were not authorized by BIS. There are specific tell points to distinguish between genuine and fake ISI mark;
- Fakes do not have 7 digits (CM/L-xxxxxxx)
- The IS number resided at the top of the ISI mark is missing
- Also, sometimes fakes try to trick you by putting a small ISI mark on say, Mixer Grinder box, with the ISI code of the wire, then this indicates that wire is BIS approved but not the Mixer grinder. Therefore it is necessary to check the marked ISI mark of the products properly before its purchase.
Before launching, all the products that need to be sold in India have to receive approval from the Bureau of Indian Standards. Once approved, the product remains valid for 5 years and requires renewal before expiry. There are essential products that affect the health and safety of the people like electrical items, food items, LPG products, etc. that need to be approved at all costs by the BIS, or otherwise, it would be punishable by the law. It is also significant to be aware of ways to distinguish the fake from the genuine ones.
The ISI license approval process takes approximately 4 months from the day the application is received by BIS and almost 6 months from the all India First license for products